Rules used for tournaments at Barrie Sports Complex
1. Team roster MUST be approved by Tournament convenor and SPN. (convenor maintains the right to disallow any person on team's roster from
playing, as they see fit)
2. NO GRACE PERIODS! Scheduled time is actual game start time, as per umpires time!
3. A 24" x 45" wooden board, covering home plate, will be used to determine strike zone...
4. No new inning to start after one (1) hour. Umpire should have start time recorded on both scoresheets. This is for all games except the final...which is
5. NO tagging on plays at home!
6. Anticipation step is allowed after ball crosses home plate.
7. No warm ups, infields, or batting practice allowed on infields of diamonds.
8. Unlimited defence and unlimited batting order. If a player leaves a game due to injury, ejection, etc., an automatic out is recorded for that player,
unless a legal substitute is available. Co-Ed are allowed uneven number of males/females, though alternating M/F in batting order is required...and 5 and
5 on defence.
9. Teams must have a minimum 9 players to start AND finish a game! If the 10th player arrives before his/her turn at bat, he/she may hit. Otherwise,
he/she is an automatic out! He/she may still play defence (10 players in field), but must be substituted into batting order.
10. Home team determined by umpire coin toss. Home team does NOT get last bat if ahead in score at last inning! If time limit is reached, and home
team is ahead, the game is OVER!
11. Courtesy runners: 3 per game...anyone listed on line-up card. Same player can only courtesy run once! For Co-Ed, a guy can only run for a guy...a
girl can run for a girl OR guy. For masters divisions, 7 courtesy runners are allowed, under same restrictions. Courtesy runners MUST be reported to
umpire, who shall record runners used.
12. All ties will be broken, using International Tie Breaking Rule. (Rule 3, Section 80). The team at bat will begin it's half of inning with ONE OUT, and
with the player who precedes the next legal batter in batting order, starting as a runner at 2nd base.
13. Co-Ed walk rule: If a male batter is walked, intentionally or otherwise, he shall be awarded 2 bases, and the next female MUST bat!
14. In co-ed only, the 175 foot rule is in effect. 4 fielders must begin BEHIND the 175 foot mark until ball is hit. NO outfielder may make a direct OR
relay play to first base on the batter/baserunner.
15. 12-run mercy rule (anytime after 5 innings) is in effect for ALL games...including the finals! Finals are no time limit, 7 innings, but mercy rule IS in
16. Home Run rule: Men's "D" only...2 "over the fence" home runs, per team, per game. ALL other divisions...ONE "over the fence" home run allowed,
per team, per game. All others are an OUT!
17. Winning team MUST return lineup cards to HQ, within 30 minutes following each game. BOTH teams should check boards to make sure score is
recorded accurately. ALSO...check board after EACH game for possible time and/or diamond changes!
18. Round-robin tie-breaking formulas are listed at HQ.
19. Protest (see SPN rule STG&OR sec. 4, pg 60). All protests must be settled before any play can be resumedas a suspended game, EXCEPT
protests concerning player eligibility. All scoresheets should be marked as of the "protest point". Identify team name, division, players name(s),
diamond & time. $150 cash is required to protest...refundable only if protest is upheld.
20. Line-up cards and scoresheets are provided at headquarters. List ALL substitutes on line-up card. One copy MUST go to umpire at each game. Be
sure to list Team Name and Division played at top of card.
21. SPN Rule Book applies in all other cases!
22. Optional "6 run max. per inning" rule is NOT in effect!
The consumption of alcohol, other than in designated area, is NOT PERMITTED! Violators COULD be charged by the police, and MAY be
disqualified from the tournament...without refund!